So I’m about to share with you this easy crochet pattern for a super quick beanie! With the colder days officially upon us, this pattern will be great for keeping the whole family warm.
I’ve used here this fabulous yarn from Wool and the Gang in Breathing Space Blue.
Pattern in U.K treble crochet (tr) (U.S double crochet)
Using an Aran weight yarn and a 4.5 mm crochet hook:
- Chain 4, join to first ch with a slip stitch to form a circle
- ROUND 1 – 3 ch (counts as first treble crochet) 11 tr into ring. (12 tr in total) slip stitch to join to top of first ch 3.
- ROUND 2 – 3 ch (counts as first tr) , 2 tr into next stitch, *1tr, 2 tr* until end (18 tr in total) join to start with a slip stitch
- ROUND 3 – 3 ch, tr into next 2 stitches, 2 tr into next stitch, *1 tr into next 2 stitches, 2 tr into next* to end. (24 tr in total)
- Round 4 & subsequent rounds – keep increasing the space between increase stitches by 1 stitch every round until you’ve reached the desired length for the top of your beanie. I went to round 7 and this was suitable shaping for my 7 year old’s head.
- When you are happy with the shaping of the top of your beanie you can stop the increasing and just carry on with round of treble crochet until the beanie is at your desired length. I needed to crochet 5 more rounds for the pictured beanie
- Sew in the ends and you are ready to wear your beanie!
This pattern can be adapted for bigger/smaller heads by adapting the amount of increasing rounds you do for the crown of the beanie, and for the non-increasing rounds for the length of the beanie!